One of the quests from SuperBetter, a book written by Jane McGonigal, is to write about characteristics of a Superhero. Here’s what I got.
1) My superhero listens actively to understand. He doesn’t judge nor has preconceptions. He accepts the way that problems and people come to him and he knows that the first step to help someone or to solve a problem is to understand it.
2) My superhero has self-control. In order to influence his friends or enemies’ emotions, he controls his own.
3) My superhero is empathic. He puts himself in his friends and enemies’ shoes. He understands the root of their pain.
4) My superhero is a forever-learner. He has the humility to ask for help and counseling.
5) My superhero assumes challenges. He’s always looking for ways to stretch himself.
The characteristics that I most value about heroes weren’t what I expected and that was an amazing result for me. Mirroring a superhero makes becoming a better version of myself more palpable because they’re possible to achieve in the real world. There’s nothing like supervision, flying skills, super strength or immortality.
In the real world, you can become a superhero. This reflection about your vision of one is the first step you can take to know how an ‘ideal you’ would be. I want to hear from you now. What are the characteristics of your superhero?